close knit: the neighborhood yarn shop


Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Waffle Hat for You

I took home a skein of Misti Tonos Chunky a few weeks ago to make a sample for the shop, but I wasn't exactly sure what it would become. I knew I wanted to make a hat, and I wanted to use just one skein of this chunky alpaca/merino yarn. Since we often have requests for a good men's hat pattern, I was hoping to come up with a pattern that would work for a man or a woman.

I trolled around Ravelry until I found something that seemed almost right. I started with Aaron's Hat by UptownPurl, and I was inspired by several Ravelers who had made a some modifications to the original design. After a few false starts, I ended up with what I wanted. UptownPurl kindly gave me permission to rework the pattern and make it available.

The waffle stitch has a great texture and it's even reversible. The hat would work in any of our bulky yarns at Close Knit, and I've included a list of suggestions at the end of the pattern.

This is a quick knit on big needles, so whip up a few and stash them away for holiday gifts. Enjoy!

Waffle Hat (an adaptation of Aaron's Hat by UptownPurl)
by Leah Bandstra

Yarn: 1 skein Misti Tonos Chunky, Avocado #TTC05
Needles: US10 16" and double-pointed needles
Finished Size: 18" with plenty of stretch for my 22" noggin, 8" high
Gauge: 3.5 stitches/inch in stockinette on US10 (standard bulky weight)

Waffle Pattern:
Round 1 and 2: *K2, P2* Repeat between *s around until the marker.
Round 3: Knit all stitches
Round 4: Purl all stitches

Instructions:
Cast on 64 stitches with your 16" circular needle.

Join in the round (don't twist), placing marker at the beginning of the round.

*K2, P2* Repeat between *s around until the marker. Do this until you have 6 rounds of ribbing.

Begin the waffle pattern. (Note that the first 2 rows of the waffle pattern look just like the K2, P2 ribbing you have been doing.) Complete the waffle pattern 6 times total. You should see 6 purl ridges on your hat. You should have enough yarn to add an extra repeat of the waffle pattern to add about 3/4" if you'd like.

Begin the decrease rounds,
repeating between *s around each round, switching to DPNs when it gets too tight for the circular needle:
Round 1: *K2, P2tog, K2, P2*
Round 2: *K2, P1, K2, P2*

Round 3: *K5, K2tog*
Round 4: Purl all stitches
Round 5: *K2tog, P1, K2, P1*
Round 6: *K1, P1, K2, P1*
Round 7: *K2, K2tog, K1*
Round 8: Purl all stitches
Round 9: *K2tog, K1, P1*
Round 10: *K2, P1*
Round 11: *K1, K2tog*
Round 12: Purl all stitches
Round 13: *K2tog* (8 stitches left)
Break yarn and pull the tail through the 8 remaining stitches.
Weave in your ends and block if desired.

Alternative yarn suggestions:
Berroco Cuzco, Cascade 128 Superwash, Classic Elite Ariosa, Classic Elite Duchess, Debbie Bliss Glen, Karabella Margrite Bulky, Karabella Superyak, Malabrigo Chunky, Rowan Cocoon, Rowan Purelife Renew, Rowan Purelife Sheep Breeds Chunky

15 comments:

  1. Ooooh, looks great, Leah!!!
    I don't think I ever knit with Misti Tonos Chunky before... now you got me craving for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy! The yarn is so nice knit up, and it has a little more oomph than the pure alpaca.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Great Leah!! good job. might be a hat that might hold even my hair down. :}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much I love love the waffle pattern. I use it a lot in dishcloths and towels, burb cloths. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome! I am about to start my second hat and have been searching for the pattern. I am using Berocco Sundae--Super Bulky--think it will work???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Janel. The Sundae is probably a bit thick. You might want to take out a few repeats of the waffle pattern (in multiples of 4 stitches) to get the right size. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am knitting this hat with Steinbach Wolle Sport yarn (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/steinbach-wolle-sport) black and darkblue for my son.
    He loves the pattern, so I guess it´s a success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great pattern have made it twice with two different types of yarn you suggested/ Both came out great and recipients were stoked. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pattern! My brother liked this pattern, and I plan to knit it for him, but he's got a larger-than-usual head size. Could I easily just add extra stitches when I cast on (multiples of 4) and then add a few extra rounds for more length? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am new to knitting so forgive me if this is a silly question: what would happen if I used 10.5 needles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I may answer this for Leah, a 10.5 needle will result in a slightly wider and longer hat with a little bit looser look to the pattern. Not a disaster! If it is too big you can begin again with 60 or 56 stitches. A size 10 needle is 6mm in diameter and a 10.5 is 6.5mm. Oddly enough, a size 11 is 8mm. Big jump!

      Delete
  11. Any idea how I would alter this pattern to fit a 5 year old?
    I'm fairly new to knitting (this will be my second hat). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did this, looks great! I used an unlabeled yarn that looked about the same... because I like to live dangerously when it comes to gauge I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this pattern.! I now have an excellent hat, made quickly and easily!

    ReplyDelete